Saturday, June 20, 2009

you learn something new everyday right?

that's why I have decided to bring a new concept to my blog. for every post, I will put a lesson that I learned that day in the kitchen.


so for lesson numero 1.

my boyfriend had no idea what gravy was. Here in mexico people dont really eat gravy. So, I decided to make a gravy with some fresh fennel that I found at the market. now, most people use fennel bulbs, or fennel stalks, but rarely do people use the fronds. this was my first time buying fennel and they only sold me the fronds, so i had no choice.


well, on to the lesson. in mixing the ingredients for the gravy, i left the whisk in the bowl and turned my back for one second. in that one second, the whisk managed to tip the bowl over and the liquid went EVERYWHERE. After i had just spent 2 hours cleaning my kitchen. So i had to start from scratch (but it was well worth it.)


Lesson #1: do NOT leave a whisk that is heaver than the flimsy bowl that holds the ingredients in the flimsy bowl that holds the ingredients. it WILL tip over and make a mess.porkchops,gravy,fennel
mustard coated porkchops and wild rice with fennel gravy

for the gravy:
(2-3 servings)

  • 1 c chicken stock
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • palmful of fennel fronds, chopped finely
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • dash or two of worcstershire sauce
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. mix all ingredients, except butter (yes, i mixed the flour in with liquid and did not stir it into the melted butter. and my recipe turned out fine)
  2. melt butter (preferably in the pan you cooked the chops in so can deglaze it)
  3. add liquid mixture to saucepan and stir. simmer on very low heat, stirring ocassionally until thickened (wont take long).
  4. serve over pork chops

No comments:

Post a Comment