Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Watermelon granita

On Sunday my mother in law gave me a beautiful, round, ripe watermelon. I told her that she shouldnt beacuse we probably wouldnt eat it, but she insisted, saying that i could make an agua fresca or cut it up for breakfast in the mornings for my fiance like she does for her family. (seriously this woman is up every morning squeezing fresh orange juice and peeling papaya, mango and watermelon for breakfast.)

Since I knew that wasnt going to be happening in my house, i figured i had to find something to do with this watermelon. So i decided upon a cool, delicious granita, as yesterday was extremely hot.

granitas are very simple to make.
look:

  • 5 c seedless watermelon chunks
  • 1/2c sugar
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
Puree watermelon in blender.
Stir sugar and lime juice into puree and stir about 2 minutes to make sure sugar dissolves.
pour into shallow baking dish and freeze 30 minutes. take it out and scrape the sides with a fork to get the snowcone like texture and put back in freezer.
repeat every 30 minutes for about 4 hours.

and voila.




No comments:

Post a Comment