Monday, July 20, 2009

pizza margherita

My fiance finshed a coaching class he was taking for the past few months, and his classmates organized a picnic to celebrate. He volunteered for me to make pizza, and forgot to tell me until we were in the car on the way home from a night club at 3:30 am the morning of the picnic.

Now when I make pizza for people other than myself and him, i like to make my dough ahead of time in case anything goes wrong the day of and i have to start over (i have problems with yeast...it doesnt like me). But on this day, I just had to hope for the best. LUckily my crust turned out and all was well with the world.

Pizza Margherita:

1 can whole tomatoes
oregano, salt, pepper
minced onion and garlic (however much you like)
oil
fresh basil
mozzarella
thinly sliced tomotaes

Sautee onion and garlic in oil. Meanwhile in a blender or food processor, blend tomatoes with their juice until you have chunks (or you could coarsely chop with a knife). Add to onions. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano. simmer a couple minutes.
put on top of your favorite pizza crust, and top with mozzarella nad thinly sliced tomatoes. Bake about 20 minutes or until crust is done (at the temp your crust recipe calls for). When you take the pizza out, put on the basil and...

taaa-daaa
...you have pizza margherita!




(this yummy pancetta was for another pizza that i made...pancetta and portobello pizza!)

1 comment: