Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The best biscuits and gravy I've ever had!

Ok so my gravy I'm sure wasn't the greatest ever, but to me, after about a year of not having biscuits and gravy, it tasted pretty damn amazing.


Here in Mexico we dont have anything like bisquik. I had never found refrigerated biscuits either....until last Monday. Last Monday I actually had time to leisurely browse through all the aisles of the new Walmart here, and in the refrigerated section, hidden behind tubs of margerine, I found a lone tube of buttermilk biscuits. I freaked! The poor people in Walmart probably thought I was crazy, but I was so happy. I told my bf that I had to buy them, even though they were kind of pricey (I mean $4 for a tube of biscuits??? come on...). But I had to have them.


I know what you're thinking. Refrigerated biscuits?? Why when you could just make your own? I know, I know. I dont buy many pre-packaged things for a couple reasons. Homemade just tastes better, and also in Mexico there arent nearly as many pre-packed foods as in America. Well, none that I want to make, anyway.

However, when it comes to biscuits, I'm lazy. I dont know why, but I just dont like to make them. I'd prefer to buy tubes.


Anyways, I love biscuits and gravy, so I knew I would have to use the biscuits for that. Besides, my boyfriend had never had it, and I really wanted him to try it.



I made a quick bacon gravy with some turkey bacon that I needed to use up. The biscuits and gravy tasted wonderful! Exactly what I had been craving, and my boyfriend loved it as well.

And im awful at posting recipes on here because I never really measure anything, but I'll try to give correct measurements.

  • 6 slices of bacon
  • 2-3 tbsp butter
  • 2-3 tbsp flour
  • 1 c milk ( mixed it with half a cube of chicken buillon)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. cook bacon until crispy. drain on paper towels.
  2. melt 2 or 3 tbsp butter in the same skillet you used for bacon.
  3. whisk in 2 or 3 tbsp flour (depends on how thick you want your gravy. Remember you can always add extra milk if its too thick).
  4. When flour and butter have cooked about 1 minutes, add milk and salt and pepper.
  5. Crumble a few slices of the bacon into the mixture.
  6. Simmer till it reaches desired thickness.

1 comment:

  1. HI, I am looking for one great photo of biscuits and gravy to use on our fundraiser flyer. Can I use your photo? I'll give you credit and include your website too. We are a group called Cowgirls Care, that raises money for animal rescue organizations. In April, we are sponsoring a Biscuits and Gravy cook off. You can check our our blog at CowgirlsCare.wordpress.com. Can you let me know if we can or can't use your photo? Email at CowgirlsCare@yahoo.com.

    Thank you!
    Su Wickersham

    ReplyDelete